Will using KDE programs use too much system resources?

Ken Moffat kmoffat at drizzle.com
Sat Apr 29 20:39:09 CEST 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>On 4/29/06, Mike Massonnet <mike.massonnet at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>As Ken Moffat said: "Could you not use an sftp client, or simply 'scp' to
>>access the files?", it remember me of sshfs. You will be able to mount any
>>directory from an ssh and access the files with any application.
>>
>>If you do that you could for example add a command in bluefish to
>>mount/unmount the mount point so you won't need to run an external terminal
>>if nothing is mounted.
>>'Edit > Preferences > External programs' to add a command. And 'External >
>>Commands' to execute it.
>>

>I'm not familiar with sshfs, but it looks like it might do. That would
>mean that I could use any editor with a built-in file browser. I'll go
>on an editor hunt this evening- seems like I do that every two or
>three years anyhow...
>
>Dotan Cohen
>http://EssentiaLinux.com

Are these files you need to edit within your local network? You could
export the directory on the server and add it to your fstab locally. It
could be automounted, I think. I have image and mp3 directories mounted
to allow editing and playback. Here is one fstab line for the images
directory on my server:

noisy:/mnt/hda6/images /mnt/images nfs noauto,user,rw 0 0

The server name is 'noisy', and the directory '/mnt/hda6/images' is
exported by nfs. Note the 'noauto' directive, which I assume could be
left out for automounting. 'user' lets the user access it, and rw is
read-write, of course.

The line in /etc/exports that exports the images directory from the
server, allowing only lan access, is:

/mnt/hda6/images 192.168.1.0/24(rw,sync)

This assumes a linux server running nfs, of course.

--
ken