Will using KDE programs use too much system resources?

Mike Massonnet mike.massonnet at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 17:34:29 CEST 2006

Le Saturday 29 April 2006 15:47, Dotan Cohen a écrit :
> On 4/29/06, Mike Massonnet <mike.massonnet at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Le Friday 28 April 2006 17:19, Joe Klemmer a écrit:
> > > Yes and no. Loading them will also load the kde gunk which will
> > > stay loaded after the programs are closed but since the rest of the kde
> > > desktop isn't loaded it won't take up as much resources as it otherwise
> > > could.
> >
> > Wrong, at least here. When I run a KDE application indeed I have the
> > bunch of KDE background applications but when I close the last KDE
> > application the backgrounds are also closed.
> >
> > Another point, a KDE desktop isn't in my guess that huge compared to the
> > KDE backgrounds. In addition are kwin, kdesktop and kicker with some
> > applets.
> >
> > The KDE backgrounds without knotify take 38MB here and with it they take
> > 50MB.
> >
> > Cheers ;)
> > Ps: KDE3.5.2
>
> I think that we've pretty much come to the conclusion that if I want
> to continue using Kate I'd be better off just sticking with KDE. That
> leaves me two options:
> 1) Find another 256 MB of RD-RAM real cheap.
> 2) Find another editor that supports SFTP (fish protocol or otherwise)
> and internal bookmarking.
>
> Anybody know such an editor? Or have so much spare RD-RAM?
>
> Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the opinions, especially those that vary!

As Ken Moffat said: "Could you not use an sftp client, or simply 'scp' to
access the files?", it remember me of sshfs. You will be able to mount any
directory from an ssh and access the files with any application.

If you do that you could for example add a command in bluefish to
mount/unmount the mount point so you won't need to run an external terminal
if nothing is mounted.
'Edit > Preferences > External programs' to add a command. And 'External >
Commands' to execute it.

> Dotan Cohen

Cheers.
--