An intesting perspective

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Thu Apr 27 22:53:20 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 22:45 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Thanks. The only way I know to restart X is to reset the machine, so I
> did that.

	You can restart X with the key combination of Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.  And
just for future reference, the only time you should need to reboot a
Linux machine (or *BSD, for that matter) is when you upgrade the kernel.
You should never need to reboot for software installation or upgrade.
Only the kernel and hardware changes.  This is a good general rule to
follow.

> Is there a forum or a better place to ask newbie-Xfce questions than
> this list? I have a lot of them and I see that this list has short
> patience for newbie questions. Which is understandable, given the
> knowledge level required to run it, compared to KDE or Gnome for
> example.

	Now that is a very interesting perspective.  Xfce is, by design, much
simpler and requires far less knowledge to use and configure than GNOME
or KDE.  However, because it doesn't completely mimic the WinXX way it
seems to be more difficult for some.

	Due to moving, I have been running GNOME on my laptop for about a month
until I can get my regular system setup.  I think I'll have to try and
look at Xfce from a different perspective.

--
Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com>