desktop icons

Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez rnsanchez at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 19:34:48 CEST 2006

On 4/23/06, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Ok, here's why it's not transparent in general (that is, why I put the
> background there at all): if your text color (from the gtk theme)
> happens to be close to or matches with the dominant color in your
> backdrop image, then you can't read the text.

Brian, what about making it a hidden setting?  ie, in order to change
the color (to another or even transparent), the user is told what to
edit in some ~/.config file (perhaps a one-liner entry in a README
file, briefly describing hidden settings).  then, in the future, if
users ask the same thing over and over (I bet there will be others),
you might find that it is desireable by enough people and thus
implement its preference in some of the settings menus.

I know software that does this kind of setting's popularity test with
success; both users and developers feel happy (developers add some
quick hacks, users can change the settings without recompiling lots of
stuff).

--
Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez
GNU/Linux #140696 [http://counter.li.org]