desktop icons

Stefan Stuhr xfceuserslist at sstuhr.dk
Sun Apr 23 20:20:42 CEST 2006

søn, 23 04 2006 kl. 10:50 -0700, skrev Brian J. Tarricone:
> Ok, here's why it's not transparent in general (that is, why I put the
> background there at all): if your text color (from the gtk theme)
> happens to be close to or matches with the dominant color in your
> backdrop image, then you can't read the text.
>
> Possible fixes: 1) option to change the desktop text color, 2) option to
> make the background not transparent.
>
> 1) That's not xfdesktop's job; that's the theme's job.
> 2) It's more or less pref-bloat.  If you're the kind of person who can't
> get used to a colored background on your text, I feel like you're a bit
> obsessive and -- not to be mean -- but you're probably in a minority of
> users and I don't see the need to cater to you.

Another possible solution: Draw a text shadow using the current text
background colour.

A HTML file demonstrating this (dark green background and text; white
shadow) is attached.

It may not be optimal, but I can read the text.

Also, if defining the text colour is the theme's job, why doesn't
Xfdesktop use the background colour defined by the theme? ;o)

> Can we be done with this thread now?

Transparent icon text background is not that important for me. It's a
thing I would use, but it's also a thing I can live without. The current
text background box does have nice round corners, after all.

> 	-brian

Stefan