desktop icons

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Sun Apr 23 20:07:28 CEST 2006

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Nikolas Arend wrote:
>
>> Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

>>> Well, of course you can poll all you want, but in the end you will have
>>> to convince the maintainer, Brian in this case, that this feature is
>>> important enough to make it configurable or, even better, why the
>>> default implementation should be different.
>>>

>> I guess there are several aspects. I too would find the desktop visually
>> more appealing and professionally-looking with transparent background,
>> so that's my opinion ;-). But if Brian doesn't consider this worth the
>> effort, it's his opinion that counts of course. But I think one could
>> always come up with a patch for, say, the stable release. Perhaps Brian
>> is "convinced" then and maybe includes it, maybe not, but people could
>> use it anyway.
>>

> Ok, here's why it's not transparent in general (that is, why I put the
> background there at all): if your text color (from the gtk theme)
> happens to be close to or matches with the dominant color in your
> backdrop image, then you can't read the text.
>
> Possible fixes: 1) option to change the desktop text color, 2) option to
> make the background not transparent.
>
> 1) That's not xfdesktop's job; that's the theme's job.
> 2) It's more or less pref-bloat.  If you're the kind of person who can't
> get used to a colored background on your text, I feel like you're a bit
> obsessive and -- not to be mean -- but you're probably in a minority of
> users and I don't see the need to cater to you.

As I said above, it's your decision, nobody doubts that and we already
know your opinion. And frankly -- not to be mean -- I think I'm neither
obsessive nor in a vast minority. And I didn't request you to cater me
in my post, rather the opposite actually.
> Can we be done with this thread now?

It would be nice if someone (maybe you or Benedikt) could comment on the
Thunar-will-provide-icons-in-the-future thing.

Nick.