desktop icons

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Sun Apr 23 14:44:30 CEST 2006

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Harold Aling schreef:
>
>>> You're certainly welcome to your opinion.  Mine differs, however.
>>>

>> Mine too, although I've heard that opinion before... Configurable
>> background colors or transparency (with dropshadow coolness) would be a
>> very attractive feature!
>>
>> Maybe we can set up a poll for discussions like these?
>>

> Well, of course you can poll all you want, but in the end you will have
> to convince the maintainer, Brian in this case, that this feature is
> important enough to make it configurable or, even better, why the
> default implementation should be different.

I guess there are several aspects. I too would find the desktop visually
more appealing and professionally-looking with transparent background,
so that's my opinion ;-). But if Brian doesn't consider this worth the
effort, it's his opinion that counts of course. But I think one could
always come up with a patch for, say, the stable release. Perhaps Brian
is "convinced" then and maybe includes it, maybe not, but people could
use it anyway.
But as far as I heard, Thunar is planned to handle desktop icons in the
future, is that correct? In that case, I tend to agree with Brian to not
put too much effort into icon-handling of xfdesktop now. Please correct
me if I'm wrong.

Nick.