[OT] Good to be back: An experiment with Compiz

Robin Haswell rob at digital-crocus.com
Wed Apr 19 23:22:28 CEST 2006

Yo'av Moshe wrote:
> Well, AFAIK, In order to get the same effect - live, small versions of
> the opened windows, we would have to use Xgl. But it's possible to
> make screenshots of the opened windows and draw them. I'm actually
> pretty sure that it can be done with FVWM with a (pretty complex)
> custom configuration.

Hm. I'm guessing here, but shouldn't it be possible with the X Composite extension? AFAIK, Composite
works by drawing windows off-screen then compositing them in-place. Is it possible to use this
feature to draw apps off-screen then draw resized version of them on-screen? I'm sure it would be
treacle-slow compared to scaling them in hardware, but.. doable?

On the other hand, is Xgl an unreasonable optional dependency for Xfce in the future, like Composite
is now? Xgl actually speeds up the desktop, so it's in-line with Xfce's goals.

I'm only pushing this because it is actually a useful feature, especially at work when middle-click
merely yields a nondescript list of "Eterm, Eterm, Eterm, Eterm....". I guess I really should work
out how to get Vim to set a useful titlebar...

-Rob