Unable to log out

James Westby jw+xfce at jameswestby.net
Fri Apr 14 00:05:15 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm running xfce 4.2.3.2 on Debian. I'm running mainly etch, but edging
ever closer to Sid. This morning I decided to upgrade to X.org 7.0
which has just been put in to Debian unstable. This involved upgrading
my Nvidia stuff to the latest version as well. In the midst of all of
this I lost my ability to logout of xfce.

I use the System buttons on the panel, and I am prompted whether to
quit or not. I select yes and the panel goes, but the taskbar,
backdrop and all of the apps remain.

I have tried using xfce4-session-logout, but this says that there is
no session manager running. I also have the checkbox for prompting on
logout unchecked in the settings, so I think that maybe I have
disabled the session manager somehow.

.xsession-errors reports

** (xfce4-session:27133): WARNING **: ICE connection 0x80bfc68
rejected
Warning: Tried to connect to session manager, Authentication Rejected,
reason :
None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and
host-based authentication failed

If someone could suggest where I should be looking to try and track
down the cause of the problem I would be grateful. Also, if I should
be looking in to whether these new packages have somehow caused the
problem then please point me in that direction.I guess I've been
lucky before, everything has Just Worked, so I haven't had to look in
the mechanics.

I'm a big fan of the xfce style, so I'd like to lend a hand in trying
to track down any bugs that there are. Are there any debian packages
of 4.3 around? I feel like it might be time to get a shiny new version
of my WM to go with my shiny new X.

Thanks,

James

--