ANNOUNCE: Verve Plugin 0.3.0 Released

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Apr 3 21:38:11 CEST 2006

Hey all,

I am pleased to announce the third release of my panel command line
plugin. It has at least one cool new feature: Grabbing the focus through
a shell command (which can e.g. be connected to a keyboard shortcut).

But first of all we have a few bug fixes:

  * If you enter a command twice, the last one is not added to the
    command history anymore (fixes bug #6900). This avoids having a
    history looking like this:

      xfce4-appfinder
      thunar
      thunar
      thunar

    Instead, this would now look like this:

      xfce4-appfinder
      thunar

    This makes browsing the history faster.

  * Shell errors, which e.g. occured when entering a single quote (')
    no longer crash the plugin (bug #6663).

  * Commands from the history now appear in the auto-completion results.

Now for the new features:

  * Terminal startup: You can now run commands in your favourite
    terminal emulator by holding down the CTRL key while pressing ENTER
    to execute your input. In future Versions of Xfce (>= 4.4) you can
    adjust your preferred terminal emulator in the "Preferred
    Applications" section of the MCS manager.

  * Focus grabbing: There's now a helper script (written in Python)
    which makes it possible to let Verve grab the focus. It's called
    "verve-focus" and is copied to $(bindir) (e.g. /usr/local/bin)
    during the installation. You'll need D-BUS bindings for Python in
    order to make use of it.

    Note that you can easily assign a keyboard shortcut for Verve now.
    Just add an entry to the shorcut or keyboard plugin in the MCS
    manager to run verve-focus.

    After running the script, Verve should start to flash. You can stop
    this by either simply typing what you wanted to type, by pressing
    an unimportant key like SHIFT or by clicking into the input field
    with the first or second mouse button.

  * org.xfce.RunDialog D-BUS service: Verve now supports this service
    which can be used as a backend for xfrun4 Xfce >= 4.4. xfrun4 will
    check for a running org.xfce.RunDialog service and call the
    first one available instead of popping up the well-known dialog
    window.

That's it.

ChangeLog is available on

  https://developer.berlios.de/project/shownotes.php?release_id=9652

The release tarball can be downloaded from

  http://prdownload.berlios.de/xfce-goodies/verve-plugin-0.3.0.tar.bz2

Regards,
Jannis