Is the weather plugin hazardous?

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 03:40:17 CEST 2006

On 4/1/06, sofar <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:28:08 -0500 (EST), Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman at mindspring.com> wrote:
> > Is it possible that the weather plugin messes with my DSL?  My DSL's been
> > a bit flaky lately - on for mere minutes and then off again - and I've
> > been trying, somewhat unscientifically I'll admit, to eliminate causes.
> > Thinking (superstitiously) that the weather plugin might have something to
> > do with my problems, I removed it, and was reliably connected for at least
> > 24 hours.  I re-enabled it, and was disconnected about 2 hours later.
> > I've again disabled it, and am connected now for several hours.
> >
> > Is it purely coincidental or is the weather plugin doing something in its
> > relentless checking for weather data which might bring down my DSL?
>
> depends on your DSL line - if it's crappy then sure the weather plugin can kill it (joke).
>
> Seriously - the weather panel has been known to cause problems, but the last two things it will do are:
>
> * display accurate weather forecasts
> * break your network link

Back when I worked for BellSouth, Outlook was known to kill already
flaky DSL connections - the modem (Westel Dual Connect with a shitty
in house firmware revision) did respond well under a polling
situation.

Of course this rarely came up because those same modems would
disconnect if you brought up your webrowser and surfed for 5 minutes.
So, I would tend to agree with Auke.

> Auke

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."