Lost saved session - why?

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Fri Sep 30 21:35:32 CEST 2005

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 08:16:10PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> I have just changed the IP address of my Linux box and, as a result,
> my XFCE saved session setup was lost!
>
> Is there any way I can restore my old saved desktop layout?

To be more specific, I am running XFCE on a slackware Linux box and
the X server displaying it is on a Windows 2000 system.  It's when I
change the name (not the IP address) of the Win2k system in /etc/hosts
that XFCE loses its session settings.

It all works perfectly with the following line in /etc/hosts:-

    192.168.13.4    chris.home.isbd.net        chris

My session settings are lost when I change the above line to:-

    192.168.13.4    chris.isbd.ltd.uk        chris

192.168.13.4 is the IP address of the WIn2k machine where I'm
displaying my XFCE desktop.  Does this mean that the session is saved
for a specific DISPLAY?

What file are the session settings saved in?  Presumably I can edit it
to change the DISPLAY.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."