xfce 3 stopped displaying JPG as backdrop after OS upgrading to FC3

Michal Szymanski msz at astrouw.edu.pl
Thu Oct 27 18:29:00 CEST 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 11:07:14AM +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Michal Szymanski schreef:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have upgraded a bunch of machines from RH7.2 to FC3, installed the
> > same binary xfce-3.8.18-1 rpm and found, to a great surprise, that XFCE
> > now does not support JPG backdrop files (message: error in file format).
> > I have even recompiled the package from source RPM but this did not help.
> >
> > It seems very strange to me, the JPG images that I tried are perfectly
> > OK (actually they are a part of XFCE package, e.g.:
> >   /usr/share/xfce/backdrops/A-Little-Exercise.jpg
> >
> > I can display them with any of 'display', 'xv' etc.
> >
> > JPG images as the backdrop were working fine in the RH7.2 system, they also
> > make no problem in XFCE ver. 4. It is just that some folks here are
> > quite used to ver 3. Sure, they can convert the images to PNG or XPM but
> > I am very curious why JPEG stopped working.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Images are not handled by gdk-pixbuf. IIRC for gtk1 this is a separate
> package. You probably have to install a jpg loader or recompile
> gdk-pixbuf with jpg support.

Do you suggest that some part of graphic packages (gdk, gtk, I am not
an expert on these) has lost JPEG support along the OS upgrade path?
That looks a strange idea to me.

How can I

(a) find what "jpg loader" would be used by XFCE (via gdk, gtk or
whatever)?
(b) check for sure whether "gdk-pixbuf" in FC3 does or does not have
JPEG support?

regards,
Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski (msz at astrouw dot edu dot pl)
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND