xfce 3 stopped displaying JPG as backdrop after OS upgrading to FC3

Michal Szymanski msz at astrouw.edu.pl
Thu Oct 27 10:57:48 CEST 2005

Hi,

I have upgraded a bunch of machines from RH7.2 to FC3, installed the
same binary xfce-3.8.18-1 rpm and found, to a great surprise, that XFCE
now does not support JPG backdrop files (message: error in file format).
I have even recompiled the package from source RPM but this did not help.

It seems very strange to me, the JPG images that I tried are perfectly
OK (actually they are a part of XFCE package, e.g.:
  /usr/share/xfce/backdrops/A-Little-Exercise.jpg

I can display them with any of 'display', 'xv' etc.

JPG images as the backdrop were working fine in the RH7.2 system, they also
make no problem in XFCE ver. 4. It is just that some folks here are
quite used to ver 3. Sure, they can convert the images to PNG or XPM but
I am very curious why JPEG stopped working.

Any ideas?

regards, Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski (msz at astrouw dot edu dot pl)
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND