Changing root window manually doesn't work

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 05:29:21 CEST 2005

On 10/24/05, Henry Griggs <xfce at hgriggs.com> wrote:
> I've just starting using xfce, so I'm probably asking a dumb question
> that everyone has heard a hundred times, but I have to ask it.
>
> I use cron to change the root window to a random photograph every few
> windows. I use xv to do the change, "xv -root -rmode 5 -quit
> photofilename.jpg". It works fine on my previous window manager, fvwm2,
> but it doesn't work with xfce. Yet when I exit xfce, the photo is there.
>
> It seems like some component of xfce is holding and display a pseudo
> root window, and when xfce exits, the real root window is displayed.

Xfdesktop

> How can I display my photos on the pseudo root window of xfce using
> cron? Is there some other program like xv that I should be using? Is it
> possible?

xfdesktop -reload will cause Xfdesktop to reload it's settings. If you
use an image list instead of a static background in xfdesktop's
settings (Desktop, under the settings menu), you can have cron run
xfdesktop -reload periodically

> Thanks
>
> Henry
> *****

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."