4.2.2 on Sparc Solaris 10

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Mon Oct 3 08:33:56 CEST 2005

Andrew Conkling wrote:
> On 9/30/05, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:
>
>>My screen -
>>http://www.kefk.net/Linux/Desktop/XFce/Screenshots/Contrib/Joe-K-large.jpg
>

> /me shudders.
>
> ...Maybe I'm not old enough to be nostalgic for that sort of thing,
> but I really can't see AT ALL why anyone would use Xfce 4 but look
> longingly back at 3....

IMO, 3.x was really fast compared to 4.x. It also packed a lot of
functionality into a small package.

There is probably still a lot of utility in it, could be useful in an
embedded or low resource scenario. It would probably be nice if someone
maintained it.

That said, it did have a lot of problems, not the least being that it
was not very modular and hence difficult to extend. That's why Olivier
decided to start again from scratch with 4.x

-- b