No window manager

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Tue Nov 15 20:34:07 CET 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 08:08 -0700, Travis Crook wrote:
> Unfortunately I don't have window borders and I can't move windows.  I
> also
> cannot launch xfdesktop and xftaskbar4 from a terminal because I
> can't
> open a terminal.  Could it be a configuration file is corrupted
> somehow?

Best would be to run a failsafe session (ie just a terminal) from your
display manager and run "startxfce4" from there.

That will not fix your problems, but at least, you'll be able to see any
important message that could lead to the problem.

Also, what GTK theme are you using? For example the "Qt" gtk theme is
known to cause a lot of problems.

At last, rename the setting directory:

mv $HOME/.config/xfce4/mcs_settings $HOME/.config/xfce4/mcs_settings.old

and rerun startxfce4

HTH
Olivier.