Manually edit desktop menu: submenus?

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Tue Nov 15 10:38:20 CET 2005

Hi,

I want to edit my desktop menu (the one that appears when right-clicking on the
desktop). I use xfce4-menueditor for that. In a stock installation of XFCE (I
have Slackware 10.2), there is a bunch of Categories (Applications, Network,
Office, ...) each with its corresponding applications. In xfce4-menueditor,
this corresponds to the included "System" menu. I deleted this entry, since 1)
most is untranslated and 2) I don't want to list every single app on my system,
but only those which I actually use.

What I want for example:

Internet -->
  Firefox
  Thunderbird
  Pan
Office -->
  OOWriter
  Scribus
  Dia
Multimedia -->
  Mplayer
  ABCDE
  Rhythmbox

... you get the picture.

Now I can't seem to create submenu entries like I want to. All the items just
display one after another in the menu, instead of being organized in hierarchy.

Q: is there a way to do this manually?

Thanks,

Niki Kovacs

PS: been using XFCE for three days only, read through the docs, and I'm really
enthusiastic about this. No way I'll get back to KDE or GNOME.