Changing the backdrop

Iain Scurrah iscurrah at fmail.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 15:12:05 CET 2005

On Wednesday 09 November 2005 19.46, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> This is pretty bizarre.  It sounds like your shell is automatically
> starting all child processes in a new session, which is almost certainly
> not normal or default behavior.
>
> Try this:  *after* the call to xfce4-session, add a line with:
> pkill -15 change_backdrop.sh

Aha ! Thanks - that gave me the help I needed. (pkill -f change_backdrop.sh).

> On a side note, it's best not to modify the system
> /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc.  As the docs say, copy that file to
> ~/.config/xfce4/ and edit it there.  However, it seems like your distro
> packagers have done something weird with our init scripts, so that may
> not work properly.  They should just be running 'startxfce4', not the
> xinitrc file directly.

Fresh install of Slackware 10.2. But I have unmodified the system xinitrc,
copied and modified my own. Things work as I'd expect now - with that pkill
statement at the end.

Just out of interest, going back to your first reply, what would be the
cleanest fix ?

Thanks for your help.

Iain.