xfce-mcs-manager

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Nov 10 01:23:49 CET 2005

On 11/9/2005 3:45 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

>>Is there any reason you need to run it in a script?  Note that if you're
>>running it from a cron job or something similar, the script won't get
>>passed important env vars such as DISPLAY, and there's no way the new
>>instance of xfce-mcs-manager can start properly.
>
> Yes, this scripts is the postinst script of debian packages. But even if
> I execute a simple script in a terminal, with only "pkill -USR1 -f
> xfce-mcs-manager", it crashs. (and it seems that i'm the only one)

That sounds like a bad idea.  If the user upgrades across Xfce minor
versions while Xfce is running, they'll then have a new xfce-mcs-manager
running with settings for the new Xfce, but all the Xfce apps running
will be the old apps.  Note that only the MCS manager and panel have a
method to be told to restart themselves, so xfdesktop, xfwm4,
xfce4-session, etc. will need to be restarted manually.  The recommended
way is for the user to restart the session manually, which I don't think
is too much to ask.

>>Not sure what you mean; xfce-mcs-manager is not multithreaded.
>
> Well, I mean, the daemon mode.

Those are two different things.  Debug like so:

gdb xfce-mcs-manager
[... output ...]
(gdb) r --no-daemon-debug
[... output ...]
[CRASH]
(gdb) bt
[... important useful output ...]

Note that gdb backtraces will likely be not-quite-useful if Xfce hasn't
been built with debugging enabled (or if the binaries/libraries have
been stripped after installation).

	-brian