Changing the backdrop

Iain Scurrah iscurrah at fmail.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 23:29:57 CET 2005

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 20.30, Steven Robson wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 November 2005 20:53, Iain Scurrah wrote:
> > Is there anyway I can get Xfce to kill this script on exiting Xfce? Maybe
> > I could use the session manager to start the (or similar) script when I
> > login, but it would need to kill it on logout...

> I'm not entirely certain of the reasons behind it, but the script needs to
> catch SIGHUP in order to exit. I use the following script to change the
> background (very similar to yours, in fact):
>

> StevenR

Hi Steven,

I tried your script, but it never exits for me. What is supplying the HUP
signal to it ?

I should point out that I boot straight into X, and use the kdm display
manager.

So the PC boots, starts X, I log in to Xfce, the script starts, I logout, the
process continues to run. I'm not stopping and starting X.

If I logging to Xfce again, the script is executed again and I have two
processes changing my backdrop. If I logout and back in, I'll have three
processes changin the backdrop.

If my wife logs into KDE, she's fine, until the sleep expires, xfdesktop is
reloaded and her desktop goes all strange (her resolution is changed to my
default).

So how do I kill the process on exitting Xfce ?

Iain.