Changing the backdrop

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 21:18:56 CET 2005

On 11/8/05, Iain Scurrah <iscurrah at fmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Many thanks for the hardwork of all involved in the Xfce project. I'm a new
> convert, (having found out that no desktop icons does not necessarily mean
> "very scary - let me out please...").
>
> One hangover from my KDE days though, is a desire to change my backdrop
> regularly...
>
> Currently I've got a list of all the photos I want to see sometime as a
> backdrop and a little script in ~/Desktop/Autostart/change_backdrop.sh
>
> #!/bin/bash
> while  [ 0 ]
> do
>    sleep 300
>    nice xfdesktop -reload
> done
>
> Dead simple - and it works well, every 5 mins, I get a new backdrop.
>
> The only problem is that it never ends.

Very odd, I'm not sure why it would do this.

 After Exiting Xfce and re-logging in,
> either as myself, or as my wife, the script keeps running. I would have two
> copies of this script running, my wife has one (and she uses KDE (although
> she wouldn't be able to tell you that)).

Your wife has one running under her username? Perhaps KDE is starting
autostarted scripts as well? I'm not a session manager expert

> Is there anyway I can get Xfce to kill this script on exiting Xfce? Maybe I
> could use the session manager to start the (or similar) script when I login,
> but it would need to kill it on logout...
>
> A test that Xfce is running in the while loop would (probably) not be good
> enough because if I log back into Xfce a second time, the script will
> contine, and if my wife logs into KDE, then the xfdesktop is likely to be
> reloaded (and the worst thing about this is that it changes her screen
> resolution).
>
> Thanks again for everything you've all put into this project, and thanks in
> advance for any advice you can give me.

The canonical way to change the backdrop after a given interval is to
do it in cron. Perhaps this bypasses the problem?

> Iain Scurrah.

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."