Menus

Foxy foxy at on-the-hill.me.uk
Tue Nov 8 17:37:50 CET 2005

chris dunn wrote:

>Having moved to XFCE4 under Ubuntu Breezy (after the initial Gnome
>default), I have ended up with a confusing desktop menu situation.
>
>The desktop menu seems to include everything under the sun, including
>some of the original Gnome entries. All the Xfce 4 entries seem to be
>present under Settings.
>
>I'd like to completely revamp the menus to suit my needs and am
>floundering around trying to find out how the desktop menu generation
>system works.
>
>Running smeg seems to show a (somewhat) different set of entries to that
>which actually exists on the desktop menu. Running Xfce 4 menu editor
>shows only a few basic entries from the existing desktop menu. I've been
>unable to locate any useful information on the operation of smeg or xfce
>4 menu editor.
>
>Where are these three (desktop + smeg + xfce 4 menu editor) getting
>their information from?
>
>Is there a desktop menu primer somewhere that I've failed to spot?
>
>Or can some kind soul give me a pointer as to where to start sorting out
>this chaos.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Chris Dunn

As I understand it, xfce looks for .desktop files in all usual dirs
(like /usr/share/apps) and puts programmes in the menu according to the
category stated in this file. I do not know a way to exclude the items
from the auto menu apart from deleting a file. I guess you can change
the category in the appropriate .desktop file (it is a simple text file)
to have it where you need it...