Graphical login

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at cox.net
Fri May 27 16:45:33 CEST 2005

Kristoffer wrote:

>On Fri, 27 May 2005 10:04:22 +0200, Matt Savigear <mcs_xfce at savigear.com>
>wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 08:57 +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
>>

>>>I have a suspicion this may be a dumb question, but I've not managed to
>>>find the answer I'm looking for yet - if that makes any sense!
>>>
>>>I'm looking to experimentally switch to a graphical login prompt instead
>>>of using startxfce4 every time I power on.
>>>

>>I'm pretty sure Xfce does not have its own login manager yet.
>>
>>You should already have xdm as I _think_ it comes with X. It's not
>>pretty, but it's graphical.
>>

>supposedly, you can configure xdm to be pretty judging from some screenshot
>i've seen on the web, don't take my word for it though... maybe it was
>hacked
>or something -- you might wanna try google image search...

Yes, xdm is configurable with images and text and fonts etc. The one
thing you can't get (to my knowledge) is menus to select sessions or
different desktops. But I only use Xfce, so no loss!

Here's an article on how to customize xdm, and a link to the author's
project, Xbanner (can't say much for his taste though :-) The link in
the article is a bit out of date:

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/1357

    http://www.hijinks.com/~spade/linux/XBanner/
<http://www.hijinks.com/%7Espade/linux/XBanner/>