Are global panel contents possible?

Stephen Hurd shurd at sasktel.net
Sun May 15 19:13:43 CEST 2005

Jasper Huijsmans wrote

>It is fundamentally different from the way the panel works now, but it
>is not necessarily a bad idea.
>
>I'd like to hear other people's opinion on it. Do you think this would
>be useful to you?

Well, the reason I would like it is that I've finally retired the last
two Windows systems in the house.  Right now, I have a dual PIII 1GHz
system with 2GB of RAM running as an applications server.  The rest of
the systems in the house are generally no better than a PII-266.
Essentially, they're the cheapest systems I could dig up with an AGP
video card.

My wife and both the kids have their "own" systems (Just X servers
really) and, of course, want to be able to customize their panels.  Our
youngest (12) recently managed to delete Mozilla from his panel, and I
got an eerily familiar feeling when I had to fix it for him.  Later, I
finally got around to building MPlayer with eSound support, so I needed
to add it to everyone's panel... at this point a matter of manually
patching each contents.xml.  When I find myself manually editing XML
files for a GUI program, that generally triggers an "Am I missing
something?" question.  My needs would have been equally well accomidated
by a command-line thing that allows launchers to be added and/or
removed, overwriting existing ones (Could just call it from the Xsession
script or what have you)

For those interested, I also fiddled with the shutdown thing
(xfce4-shutdown?) to do an "rsh HOST shutdown -p" to the host in DISPLAY
variable.  Quite handy.  Other than that, it was surprisingly simple to
get everything running as expected for remote xfce sessions.  The only
other bit I would like to have that isn't in there is eSound support for
the mixer applet...