modem lights??

Andreas J. Guelzow aguelzow at taliesin.ca
Thu May 12 07:52:52 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-05 at 21:32 -0400, Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 5/11/05, Andreas J. Guelzow <aguelzow at taliesin.ca> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > SInce I am somewhat unhappy with Gnome I am trying out Xfce and am quite
> > pleased with what I am seeing. Unfortunately I appear to fail to find a
> > panel applet akin to Gnome's modem light (ie. an applet that when
> > clicked calls pon or poff depending on an ppp connection being active or
> > not.)
> >
> > Am I missing something?
>
> Not at all. Simply hasn't been written. Seems like it'd be very easy
> to write, if you wanted to take the time. You could looks to the
> current mailcheck plugin as a base - it currently moniters a system
> status, and calls an arbitrary program when clicked, which is the
> basic functionality you want, just not for email.
>
> Another, easier but suckier, possibility: Use the genmon program and a
> launcher, side by side in the panel. The launcher would be keyed to a
> script that manually checked the PPP interface status, and called pon
> or poff depending. The genmon plugin run a script that checked the PPP
> interface status ever second or so, so the status would appear in the
> panel.

Thanks,

I think I'll stick with the trigger-launcher for the moment. Taking the
code of the mail check plugin and combining it with the necessary code
from teh gnome-modem-lights should probably be on the to-do list though.

Andreas
--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences