XScreensaver won't load on startup?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 16 22:24:43 CET 2005

Alexander Toresson wrote:

>Andrew Conkling wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 16:33 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>>

>>>Anything in ~/.xsession-errors about it?
>>>

>>No, nothing.
>>

>Just wanna report that I've got exactly the same problem. I'm running
>debian 3.1, xscreensaver 4.16-1, xfce 4.2.0 from os-cillation.de and
>xorg 6.8.1-0.4 from debian.linux-systeme.de.

I'd suggest temporarily removing the check for uid zero and vnc, and
just leaving the line as "xscreensaver&".  If that doesn't work then
there's probably something up with your xscreensaver install.  If it
*does* work, then that means that either xinitrc is running as root
(which would be odd), or for some reason there's a vnc env var getting
set somewhere where it shouldn't be.

    -brian