CDE Screenshots

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 09:42:42 CET 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 02:25:02PM -0800, Sami Samhuri wrote:
> * On Mon Mar-14-2005 at 10:15:00 AM -0500, Erik Harrison said:
> > CDE is the Motif based desktop environment which Xfce is loosely
> > based. For those of you interested:
> >
> > http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=278&slide=39
> >
> > CDE 1.6 screenshots. Xfce pretty much beats the pants off of it on all
> > levels, at least from the screenies.
>
> Despite it's horrible, horrible looks it's actually a quite usable
> environment, for me at least. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer Xfce as
> it does indeed beat the pants off CDE. But at school given the choice
> between Gnome and CDE, I choose CDE.

I have been using CDE for just about as long as it has existed, or at
least I've been using it from around 1990 and I think that's about
when it came into existence.

I'm a C/C++/Java developer and our development and delivery platform
is Sun.

I run xfce on my home Slackware system.

To be quite honest since I minimise all the 'eye candy' as far as I am
able and do much of my work in rxvt terminal windows I don't see a
*huge* difference between CDE and xfce, they're both good at being
minimal and keeping out of the way of my actual work.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."