Xterm opens slowly, when using ppp.

Jon Drews jon.drews at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 20:29:49 CET 2005

FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Mon Jan 31 04:37:33 MST 2005
xorg-6.8.1
xfce-4.2.0
installed from ports w/ gcc version 3.4.2 [FreeBSD] 20040728

Hi:

I notice that if I start xfce and then open an xtrem to dial out using
ppp, then it
takes quite a while for additional Xterms to open. I did a netstat -n -f inet,
while I was waiting for the Xtrem to open and I saw this:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
udp4       0      0  12.73.168.202.53478    12.102.240.2.53

I see from /etc/services that port 53 is for dns.

I then did a sockstat -4 and I see this:
$ sockstat -4
USER     COMMAND    PID   FD PROTO  LOCAL ADDRESS         FOREIGN ADDRESS
xfce     xfce4-sess 1011  15 udp4   12.73.173.233:62336   12.102.240.2:53

So it looks like xfce4-session is trying to find a domain name server?

I then looked in the code for xfce4-session-4.2.0/xfce4-session and
saw a progam entitled  xfsm-dns.c which had this in it:

 void
xfsm_dns_check (void)
<SNIP>

 My question is why should a desktop have to check for a dns ? I may
have misidentified the problem. However I am curious as to why it
takes almost 2 minutes for the Xterm to open., when I am dialed out on
a modem.

NOTE: If I first dial out form a different shell account (say TTY3, I
am using userland
ppp) and then login again on TTY0 and  start X, the xterms open quickly. The
slow Xterm opening only happens if I do startx first and then run
userland ppp, from inside Xfce 4.2.  This problem did not seem to
happen in Xfce 4.0.6.

   BTW  I just love Xfce; it performs wonderfully on the *BSD's.

                                                   TIA,
                                                   Jonathan

                                                        Kind regards,
                                                        Jon