Setting environment variables

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 11 21:31:32 CET 2005

Alexander Toresson wrote:

>I've been trying to set some environment variables. I've added them
>to .bash_profile in my home directory, like this:
>
>PATH=/root/euphoria/bin:$PATH
>EUDIR=/root/euphoria
>BROWSER=dillo
>
>export PATH EUDIR BROWSER
>
>But it still doesn't work! The xfce help complains that it cannot find
>any browser, and the euphoria programming language cannot find its
>include files. I've also added the environment vars to my .bashrc,
>with no success. I also cannot see them in any console or console
>emulator by typing "set|more".
>
>What am I doing wrong?

Depending on how your login manager is set up, bash may be run as a
non-login shell, which means some startup files (for bash) don't get
sourced.  Actually, bash may not be run at all (sh may be instead).  So
you have a few options - .bash_profile, .bashrc, and .profile.  You can
try all three, or you can just copy $sysconfdir/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc to
~/.config/xfce4, and stick your env var settings at the top of that file.

    -brian