Setting environment variables

Bob Hepple bhepple at freeshell.org
Fri Mar 11 21:14:36 CET 2005

Have you tried logging out and then log in again? If it's still a problem
then you need to look at how the X session is started - startx. startxfce4
or xdm/gdm?

Or try starting bash with "-l" option. If you still can't see the
environment variables then there's something wrong in the way the system
starts you up - something in /etc. Maybe you have a /etc/profiles.d
directory or something similar. Or maybe you have a /etc/bash* files.

Every system is a bit different in exactly how it's set up.

Cheers

Bob