Run program in another desktop

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Tue Mar 8 04:48:06 CET 2005

Ondra Holecek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is somehow possible then running program, to say in which desktop it
> should start?
>
> for example i have terminal in desktop 1 and want to run other terminal
> in background in desktop 6

A third-party program like wmctrl, kstart, or devilspie could do this, I
think.

-- b

Can we add a FAQ:

Q. I want to start a program on a specific
desktop/maximised/minimised/sticky etc. How do I do it?

A. xfwm will never override behavior requested by an application and
also avoid duplicating features of other applications. For this kind of
thing use a third-party program like wmctrl, kstart, or devilspie.