xfwm4 crashes under solaris vnc

James Lee leekk at freeshell.org
Fri Mar 4 23:11:58 CET 2005

Hi

thanks for replying.

> I see no clear evidence of a crash here.
>
> Seems that there are problems wit hpango loading fonts, and improper
> DISPLAY settings.

Yes, but pango has a fallback, so that is not the problem
here. Unsetting DISPLAY or setting it to my-host:20 or
my-host:20.0 does not remove the crash. Anyway, I changed
my .vnc/xstartup file to this (I removed the xterm line):

xfce-mcs-manager
xfwm4 --daemon
xfce4-iconbox &
xfdesktop &
xfce4-panel

and the pango warning message is gone. Similarly I get :

04/03/05 14:07:30 Listening for HTTP connections on TCP port 5820
04/03/05 14:07:30   URL http://my-host:5820
The application 'xfce-mcs-manager' lost its connection to the display my-host:20.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
The application 'xfwm4' lost its connection to the display my-host:20.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
X connection to my-host:20.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
X connection to my-host:20.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

(xfce4-iconbox:2182): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

(xfdesktop:2183): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

(xfce4-panel:2184): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

> As for xfwm4 not staring when fvwm2, that's not really surprising, as
> one one window manager can run at a time...

Yes, I know, so that is why I exit to dummy mode. At the
console, when I exit from fvwm2 and go into dummy mode, I
can run xfwm4 from there. But in the vnc, the entire vnc
session will die, and I cannot connect anymore.

Thanks.

James