This is why Xfce was dropped from Fedora Core 4

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbservices.com
Fri Mar 4 05:32:08 CET 2005

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 11:22:22 -0800
"Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> graced me with:

<snipped>

> The
> best thing to do is (and this is why I've cc:ed xfce at xfce.org), if
> you care enough about this, don't download or upgrade to FC4 when it
> comes out.  If Xfce users want to send a short note to someone
> (who?) to explain why they've decided to switch from FC to something
> else, that might be helpful too.  Nothing hostile, just something
> like: "I just wanted to let you know that I've decided to switch
> from FC to another distro due to FC4's lack of support/inclusion of
> Xfce.  If FC decides to include Xfce again in the future, I'd
> consider switching back."
>
> It's unfortunate that we've been dropped from the core of one of the
> major desktop distros, but we'll live...

I can understand how you must feel, but I don't believe anything
will be gained by boycotting FC4, or any distro that makes the
decision to not include XFce in it's current or future releases. You
started out with no support from any distro. You were something to be
added in and made to take over the DE by *our* choice, not their's. As
we saw the value in XFce, our numbers increased until distro's were
compelled to add XFce as a part of their own. We don't need any
distro's approval or support to enjoy what you and the everyone else
worked hard to make happen.

Xfce is now, and always will be, a kick-ass DE made popular by *us*.
Olivier, you, and all those who helped made XFce what it is today, not
Fedora or Red Hat.

Sure, you'll survive. You'll do better than that. You always will.

Viva la Xfce!

Paul

--
Paul M. Bucalo