panel plugins in user home directory

Jason Keltz jas at cs.yorku.ca
Tue Mar 1 20:04:22 CET 2005

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Oh, dear. I actually removed that for 4.2, because I didn't think anyone
> needed that. I was being lazy because I didn't want to think about where
> to put the files according to the basedir spec. It doesn't really allow
> for anything else then config files and data files. I guess something
> like ~/.local/lib/xfce4/panel-plugins might be appropriate.
>
> You can add an enhancement request to bugzilla.xfce.org if you like.

I have added the request to bugzilla.  It is an important feature for me
because when users wish to experiment with creating their own plugins,
or wish to use plugins that are not part of the default configuration,
it would be helpful if they could do it themselves.

In the current scenerio, I even tried to take the library.so file and
refer to it in the panel/contents.xml file, but the line got silently
removed when the panel started.  I wonder why this doesn't work?  I
added the line in a failsafe session where xfce was not started at the time.

jas.