panel plugins in user home directory

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Tue Mar 1 19:17:27 CET 2005

Jason Keltz wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Is it possible for a user to compile panel plugins, and place them in a
> directory in their home directory that Xfce will pick up when you go to
> "Add new item" on the panel?  The compiling part is easy.  When I do an
> strace on the panel plugin, and choose "Add new item", I don't see it
> look anywhere else but sysdir.  It would be convenient if it looked in
> the users home directory so that users can customize their environment
> in whatever way they so desire.

Oh, dear. I actually removed that for 4.2, because I didn't think anyone
needed that. I was being lazy because I didn't want to think about where
to put the files according to the basedir spec. It doesn't really allow
for anything else then config files and data files. I guess something
like ~/.local/lib/xfce4/panel-plugins might be appropriate.

You can add an enhancement request to bugzilla.xfce.org if you like.

	Jasper