Unplanned startup of programs when starting XFCE 4.2

Tue Mar 1 15:00:13 CET 2005

Peter N. Spotts wrote:
> Folks,
>
> When I start XFCE, programs come up (a terminal, gaim) that neither
> have entries under Desktop=>Autostart nor in .xinitrc. And "Save
> session for future logins" us unselected in my Exit box. Is there
> another file I should look for and modify to ensure that nothing
> starts except the entries in Autostart and in .xinitrc?

Try this:

When in a session, terminate the programs that are running that you do
not want.

Then, exit the session, being sure to check the Save Session for Future
Logins box. This should save a new session config without the running apps.

Now login again and see if the apps are still running. Hopefully, if all
is well, they should not be.

If they are, then there is something else going on and you may have to
delete the older session files in order to restore a default session
environment. These files will be in ~/.cache/sessions. If you do this,
you will be back at a default Xfce 4.2 session, which also may have
things running that you don't want (ie. taskbar, etc.). Terminate those
apps and save the session again at logout.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz