What is the build order of Xfce 4.2.2 from source?

Brett magnesium_ at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 26 19:08:12 CEST 2005

Am trying to give a Xfce a try for the first time. The docs on the web
site say to build in this order:
   1. xfce4-dev-tools
   2. libxfce4util
   3. libxfcegui4
   4. libxfce4mcs
   5. xfce-mcs-manager
   6. all other modules (you have to install xfce4 panel before compiling
panel plugins).

But the source does not include xfce4-dev-tools. So thinking that this was
just an out of date document I just tried to build the minimum without the
xfce4-dev-tools:
   1. libxfce4util
   2. libxfcegui4
   3. libxfce4mcs
   4. xfce-mcs-manager

It all seemed to build fine but the startxfce4 binary was not built. After
some investigation I see that the xfce-utils source has this so I built
that next. But running startxfce4 quits with some error about a missing
font as far as I can tell. But just to be sure what is the correct build
order or where can I find the xfce4-dev-tools source if it still exists?
Is the xfce-utils now the replacement for the xfce4-dev-tools? Help.

TIA,
Brett