Xfmedia and .srt subtitles

Gerald Barre g.barre at free.fr
Sun Jun 19 19:55:49 CEST 2005

Le Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:50:27 -0700
"Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> s'exprimait:

> Hi Gerald,

Hi,

> Gerald Barre wrote:
> >

> > and before decoding, this warning:
> >
> > info_helper: can't find out current locale character set
> > info_helper: can't find out current locale character set
> >
> > The decoding works:
> >
> > load_plugins: plugin sputext will be used for spu streamtype 01.
> >
> > libsputext: decoder data [Lien Ni Chang went on a killing rampage]
> > libsputext: mode 1 timing 33160->36490
> >
> > Could someone tell me what's the current locale character set
> > missing or
> > which variable I have to set, I suppose that's why Xfmedia can't
> > display external subtitles.
> > I launched it with the command xfmedia foo.avi#subtitle:bar.srt
>
> Sorry, I'm not really sure how that works, and I'm not sure if I have
> to do something special in xfmedia to allow for subtitle display
> (IIRC, subs work for me for DVDs, but that might not be related).

No problem with DVDs too, and it seems to be more complicated than .srt
or .sub.

http://sam.zoy.org/writings/dvd/subtitles/

A .srt is very easy to understand, for example:

1
00:01:43,280 --> 00:01:44,542
In the early Ching Dynasty,

2
00:01:45,149 --> 00:01:46,741
Emperor "Ti-chao" suddenly fell ill,

3
00:01:47,351 --> 00:01:48,443
And would die any time

> xfmedia just uses xine's config file (~/.xine/config) for the actual
> engine config, so I don'tknow where you'd set the locale's character
> set for xine otherwise.

I have the same warnings under xine running it with verbose option, so
it's not a locale issue. I just inserted the subs in my avi file with
mencoder, cuase I couldn't watch the movie without it. :-)