xfdesktop not loading or overrun by Gnome

Mon Jan 31 18:57:37 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 12:41 -0500, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 12:20, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>
> > Actually, here you did not want to save the session after deleting the
> > files...
> >
> > You might want to recheck the processes running in a console...
> >
> > If you have any lingering problems, redo these steps, but do not save
> > the session.
>
> Two things...
>
> 1) I'm running just fine now, and I did check the processes to see what
> was going on. The Evo daemons are still running.

Hmmm....

Ok, what you might want to do here is to again exit to init 3, so you
are out of X completely.

Kill the two Evo apps.

Then delete the cache files again.

Now recheck the processes.

The two Evo apps should not be running in a default session config.

If they are dead, then re-login to Xfce. Be sure that everything is OK.

If so, then logout and this time, save the session. That should save a
default session config for your next login.

> 2) I just found out I was in error when I said that the other
> workstations weren't running these daemons. <I 'assumed' so because I
> wasn't having any problems on the others. Got to stop 'assuming' while
> troubleshooting...> They are both without the problems I was having on
> this one workstation.
>
> I must have corrupted my session cache. I remember seeing a rather weird
> entry out of three that I deleted. It started out with "xfwm-" and ended
> in a very long number. In retrospect, I'll bet if I had deleted just
> that one I probably would have solved this right off.

I have those files as well. From a quick peek at the content, they are
saved configs for application windows (ie. window geometry, etc.).

> > Well, the error messages as I mentioned, were at least partly due to the
> > use of SVG images from my recollection of past posts. You might want to
> > try using a different theme/theme engine. These are typically hidden
> > during session login.
>
> The theme in use is "XFce" and the icon theme is "Rodent". I may be
> using some SVG theme icons for some of my additions to the panel menus.
> I have made KDE my DE/WM on occasion, and recently I did an upgrade to
> KDE 3.3.2, which I believe relies heavily by default on an SVG theme.
> Any of this sound like the cause?

Could be, but again, I am going from memory of some of the issues that I
recall were raised with svg images in the past. They may or may not
still be applicable, and it may also simply represent a problem with a
missing lib or related stuff. I would defer to some of the devs for more
details here.

> > For future reference, just be careful about saving sessions at logout.
> > You should probably set the default to not save, by setting this in the
> > "Sessions and Startup Settings" Xfce configuration applet.
>
> I always uncheck this feature. Occasionally I forget to close a term
> window and don't wish to see it pop up next time. I may have saved once
> by accident when things weren't right. I'll keep your warning in mind.

Fair enough.

Marc