xfdesktop not loading or overrun by Gnome

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbservices.com
Mon Jan 31 17:50:49 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 11:23, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> More than likely you have some applications running that are conflicting
> with xfdesktop in some fashion.
>
> >From a console, run:
>
> ps -e
>
> and see what application processes are running.

Here's the output:

  PID TTY          TIME CMD
    1 ?        00:00:05 init
    2 ?        00:00:00 keventd
    3 ?        00:00:00 kapmd
    4 ?        00:00:00 ksoftirqd/0
    7 ?        00:00:00 bdflush
    5 ?        00:00:00 kswapd
    6 ?        00:00:00 kscand
    8 ?        00:00:00 kupdated
    9 ?        00:00:00 mdrecoveryd
   13 ?        00:00:00 kjournald
   68 ?        00:00:00 khubd
 1391 ?        00:00:00 kjournald
 1392 ?        00:00:00 kjournald
 1643 ?        00:00:00 eth0
 1980 ?        00:00:00 dhclient
 2016 ?        00:00:00 syslogd
 2020 ?        00:00:00 klogd
 2074 ?        00:00:00 apmd
 2118 ?        00:00:01 cupsd
 2146 ?        00:00:00 xinetd
 2155 ?        00:00:00 gpm
 2164 ?        00:00:00 crond
 2187 ?        00:00:00 xfs
 2196 ?        00:00:00 atd
 2212 ?        00:00:00 login
 2213 tty2     00:00:00 mingetty
 2214 tty3     00:00:00 mingetty
 2215 tty4     00:00:00 mingetty
 2216 tty5     00:00:00 mingetty
 2217 tty6     00:00:00 mingetty
 2218 tty1     00:00:00 bash
 2300 ?        00:00:00 bonobo-activati
 2302 ?        00:00:01 evolution-womba
 2528 tty1     00:00:00 xinit
 2529 ?        00:00:06 X
 2531 tty1     00:00:00 sh
 2535 tty1     00:00:00 sh
 2536 tty1     00:00:00 xscreensaver
 2539 ?        00:00:00 ssh-agent
 2542 tty1     00:00:01 xfce4-session
 2545 ?        00:00:00 xfce-mcs-manage
 2548 tty1     00:00:00 xfwm4
 2550 tty1     00:00:00 xftaskbar4
 2552 tty1     00:00:03 xfce4-panel
 2554 tty1     00:00:00 evolution-alarm
 2556 tty1     00:00:00 gconfd-2
 2558 tty1     00:00:00 xterm
 2560 pts/0    00:00:00 bash
 2596 pts/0    00:00:00 ps

> If you note anything to do with nautilus, kill it.

evolution-alarm is elusive as it makes its checks periodically. I ended
up killing evolution-womba instead.

> Also, note that, as was mentioned in a recent thread, nautilus seems to
> kill xfdesktop, so it is also likely that xfdesktop is not running and
> therefore is not saved in a current session configuration.

As you can see, xfdesktop is not running. I had checked this before
posting and assumed that nautilus (or some Gnome feature) must have kept
it from loading...

> Try:
>
> xfdesktop&
>
> from a console to see if that changes anything.

It loads xfdesktop every time, but this is what a term window shows
foroutput:

[pmbuc at pmbent1 pmbuc]$ xfdesktop
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
Extra content at the end of the document
*** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice
[...]

(xfdesktop:2655): libxfce4util-CRITICAL **: file xfce-desktopentry.c:
line 436 (
xfce_desktop_entry_new): assertion `g_file_test (priv->file,
G_FILE_TEST_EXISTS)
' failed

(xfdesktop:2655): libxfce4util-CRITICAL **: file xfce-desktopentry.c:
line 436 (
xfce_desktop_entry_new): assertion `g_file_test (priv->file,
G_FILE_TEST_EXISTS)
' failed

(xfdesktop:2655): libxfce4util-CRITICAL **: file xfce-desktopentry.c:
line 436 (
xfce_desktop_entry_new): assertion `g_file_test (priv->file,
G_FILE_TEST_EXISTS)
' failed

(xfdesktop:2655): GLib-CRITICAL **: file ghash.c: line 291
(g_hash_table_insert)
: assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed

I noticed that after a time, I have my right-click menu back. clearly, I
have a mess on my hands. :0/

> Also, note that (depending upon which version of Evolution you are
> running), exiting Evolution does not exit all of the sub-applications.
> The evolution-alarm-notify application enables Evo's calendar alarms to
> still function, even if you exit the main application. Thus, if you exit
> Evo and logout of your session, saving it, the evolution-alarm-notify
> loads up at your next login.

If I can find why this is loading (it isn't loading on the other
desktops that I use Evo on --- same version, btw), I'd 'turn it off'.

> If none of the above help, then one option, to restore a default
> configuration, is to delete the files in ~/.cache/sessions. These are
> the session files.
>
> After deleting the above files, then logout of your current session and
> do not save the session at the logout dialog. You can then login in to a
> default session configuration and make further modifications as you
> require.

Thanks, Marc. If what I gave you makes any sense, let me know.
Otherwise, I will work through what you have given me and report back
with success or failure (and hopefully a reason why).

Paul