Removing Window Decorations

Tyler tlund at briareos.net
Mon Jan 31 16:45:47 CET 2005

Jonathan B. Horen said:
>>  Well, sometimes I want an application to fill the screen with no
>>  windows decorations and then I press alt + f11 to achieve
>>  that...dunno if it solves what you want.... if you want a bordless
>>  terminal, with no windows decorations, I recommend aterm (with
>>  the option -bl)....
>
> If I understand correctly, the original poster is (like me) looking for
> some way to configure an application so that there is no bulky titlebar
> with buttons, perhaps even no border.  In my case, I have several
> instances of xclock in the upper-righthand corner of my workspaces,
> letting me quickly know what time it is out on the US West Coast, as
> well as in the Middle East and GMT.  I'm sure that there are other apps
> where this would be advantageous.  Xmms provides this capability as a
> built-in configuration option.
>
> If configuring window decoration on a per-application basis would become
> possible in the near future, an additional facility would also be
> convenient: adding a mechanism for moving a window using the mouse,
> other than by its titlebar (Fvwm does this, through a menu which is
> accessed by clicking-right in the root window).
>
> Something(s) to think about...

I suppose the lesson I learned here is that this is something window
managers are not supposed to do, but some do anyway. Ideally, the WM
should display whatever the application asks for. Some WMs (like
Enlightenment) have options to override what an application asks for in
terms of window decoration, but that sort of breaks the rules and they
really should do do that even if it is convenient at times.

Would that be accurate?