XFce-4.0.2 doesn't setup switchdesk & GDM (WBEL)

Paul Bucalo pmbuc at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 16:39:16 CET 2005

I have been using the os-cillation installer on WBEL workstations
with great ease and no mishaps. It's been a wonderful invention and
long overdue...thank you! However, I have noticed that the
installation doesn't setup GDM to show XFce as a choice at login
without manual changes. In the past, all I had to do was invoke
'switchdesk' once from the Gnome desktop, log out and before logging
in choose XFce as my session to make XFce my permanent choice. Now, I
have to create the executable script "XFce" that launches
'startxfce4' and place it in '/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions' to make it
available to the session chooser for GDM. Also strange (to me,
anyway) is why 'xfce42session.desktop' is placed in that directory
when it can't function in anyway without adding additional script
information to other areas of the system  that seem like overkill for
GDM. I noticed that if I set up KDM and XDM, then use KDM as my DM, I
see both my entry and the desktop file entry as choices. Was this the
reason why 'xfce42session.desktop' was plced in the
'/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions' directory? Why not just place the simple
start-up script in each of the DM locations, instead? Since the fine
folks at XFce don't do anything without reason, I have to believe I
am missing something obvious. Can anyone help me understand what I'm
doing wrong or am missing?

TIA,

Paul