Update annunciator

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 28 23:53:24 CET 2005

David A. De Graaf wrote:

>I have four systems, all set up the same, with Xfce 4.2.0 installed on
>Fedora Core 3 using the 'fat rpm package'.  Recently, on (only) one
>system I noticed a blinking red blob with exclamation point at the
>upper right corner of the screen at the right end of the 'task bar'.
>When I hovered the cursor there, a popup informed me that 'one update
>is available'.
>
>Now, this is a wonderful thing!  So, to find out where this gem of
>information was coming from, I clicked on "Settings Manager" and "Taskbar"
>and noted that 'Show system tray ..." was checked.  Guessing this must
>be part of the mystery, I unchecked it and rechecked it.
>
>The blinking red blob was gone!
>
>I can't find how to bring it back.  I've never seen it on my other
>three systems.
>
>Does anyone recognize this 'yum update annunciator'?  How can I
>reactivate it?

This is kinda a shot in the dark, cuz I haven't used RH/Fedora since
RedHat 8, but...  Look for an app that starts with "rhn-".  Try opening
a terminal, type "rhn-", and tab a couple times, and see what comes up.
It might be something like "rhn-notification-applet".  Also try typing
"yum" and tab.  Anyway, if you figure out what it's called, hit alt+f2
to bring up the run box, and type that there.  Then log out of Xfce, and
be sure to check the box to save your session.  In theory, when you log
back in, the update notifier thingy should load itself.  In theory.

>This new XFCE 4.2.0 is wonderful, and gorgeous.  The team has really
>done an outstanding job.  Thank you, all.

Thanks - always nice to hear good feedback ^_^.

    -b