background, panel and RMB menu not loading after Nautilus crashed

Wed Jan 26 02:30:24 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 02:14 +0100, Christian Barth wrote:

> Hi Marc
>
> Thanks for your answer, but unfortunately it doesnt' work
>
> Marc Schwartz wrote:
>
> | On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 01:12 +0100, Christian Barth wrote:
> |
> |> Hi
> |>
> |> I have a small problem with Xfce4.2 (running on a gentoo box)
> |> Evereything worked fine, but the I tried Nautilus (to get some
> |> Icons on my desktop), but Nautilus crashed. I quitted the session
> |> (but unfortunately I had "save session" activated) and now each
> |> time I start Xfce there is no background (only black), no panel
> |> and no RMB-menu. Does someone have an idea to get my Xfce working
> |> again.
> |

> | More than likely Nautilus is drawing the root window on the
> | desktop, which it does by default.
> |
> | Run:
> |
> | ps -e | grep nautilus
>

> I tried it, but nothing was returned
> even if I run:
>
> killall -kill nautilus
> - --> nautilus: no process killed
>
> it seems, that nautilus isn#t running, perhaps XFCE doesn't start the
> panle and desktop manager
>
> Is there a file in which all programms (which automaticly are started)
> are listed?

OK. Then it sounds like Nautilus terminated completely and perhaps took
xfdesktop and xfce4-panel with it.

Check the following, again in a console:

ps -e | grep xf

You should see xfdesktop and xfce4-panel, if they are running.

If not, then run:

xfdesktop&
xfce4-panel&

That should hopefully get your desktop and the panel back. If so, then
go ahead and logout, saving the session.

If that does not work, then you might need to restore the default
session by clearing out the saved sessions in the cache. Use:

cd ~/.cache/sessions

and delete the files there. That should delete the saved sessions and
hopefully bring you back to a default state and you can start over from
there.

HTH,

Marc