background, panel and RMB menu not loading after Nautilus crashed

Wed Jan 26 01:51:23 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 01:12 +0100, Christian Barth wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a small problem with Xfce4.2 (running on a gentoo box)
> Evereything worked fine, but the I tried Nautilus (to get some Icons on
> my desktop), but Nautilus crashed.
> I quitted the session (but unfortunately I had "save session" activated)
> and now each time I start Xfce there is no background (only black), no
> panel and no RMB-menu.
> Does someone have an idea to get my Xfce working again.

More than likely Nautilus is drawing the root window on the desktop,
which it does by default.

Run:

ps -e | grep nautilus

in a console and see what it returns.

It should return at least one nautilus related process, which you then
need to kill.

Once you do that, your Xfce desktop should return. Then logout again,
saving the session.

That should solve the problem for your next login.

If you should want to run nautilus in the future, use:

nautilus --no-desktop

That way, you get the FM without losing the Xfce desktop, though you
give up desktop icons.

> Thanks
> Christian
>
> PS: does someone know a fast alternative to Nautilus (something which is
> in Gentoo-Portage would be best)?

I use Rox (http://rox.sourceforge.net/). I run FC3, so I do not know if
it is available via the Gentoo repositories. You can install it via
files available from the Rox site.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz