cycling to the panel via the alt+tab

Misu Moldovan dumol at home.ro
Mon Jan 24 17:25:40 CET 2005

Oliver Lehmann wrote:

> Switching workspaces... when I was switching from ws1 to ws2 with xfce3,
> ws2 was there immediate w/o noticing any delay or such thing. When I do
> that now, I feel a delay... and i see the screen building up with all the
> applications on it.
> But maybe it was not just gtk12-xfce3 -> gtk20-xfce4 but also xfree-4.2 ->
> xorg 6.8.1 since xorg steels more memory than xfree 4.2 does now too...
> (119M resistent, 132M over all)

Let me guess... Are you comparing older gtk+ 1.2 apps with bitmap fonts
in a non-utf8 environment using an older and lighter xfree86 against
newer gtk+ 2.x version of the same apps with truetype fonts &
antialiasing in an utf-8 environment using a newer and more capable X
windowing system (x.org)? How relevant is this?

It might be that gtk+ 2.x widgets are a bit slower than similar gtk+ 1.2
widgets but for the extras you get, it is well worth it.

--
Misu