cycling to the panel via the alt+tab

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Mon Jan 24 16:32:51 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> Concerning the "cpu-cycles stealing utf8-encoding" statement: Can you
> explain how to measure cpu-cycles that where "stole" by a character
> encoding? And compared to what? To ASCII? To UCS-2? To UTF-16? To
> ISO-Latin1? And when does that happen?

I compare against xfce3 and all the gtk12 apps I used for 4 years.
For example sylpheed... using the gtk12 app, click on a huge mail and
it's displayed. Do that with gtk20, and it takes notable time (I guess the
bad guy is g_locale_to_utf8)
During opening an 177KB Mail it reaches 25.73% of CPU usage. I never
expirienced such thing while using the gtk12 version. I know, sylpheed is
not xfce4. But
  a) was not talking about xfce, but gtk20 in general, and
  b) sylpheed is only an example.
Take an application, use it with the gtk12 toolkit, then use the gtk20
toolkit. It feels slower. Ok, not when you run it on an up-to-date
system...

Switching workspaces... when I was switching from ws1 to ws2 with xfce3,
ws2 was there immediate w/o noticing any delay or such thing. When I do
that now, I feel a delay... and i see the screen building up with all the
applications on it.
But maybe it was not just gtk12-xfce3 -> gtk20-xfce4 but also xfree-4.2 ->
xorg 6.8.1 since xorg steels more memory than xfree 4.2 does now too...
(119M resistent, 132M over all)

Thats all about "like it feels"....

--
 Oliver Lehmann