Fedora update

Sun Jan 23 05:16:06 CET 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 19:44 -0800, Timothy Payne wrote:
> Will the latest version be on the mirrors to update fedora, or will it
> be a self install?  Xfce was in core 3 so I would think it would be on
> the list to update.
>
> Tim...

If you mean will it be available from the Fedora Core mirrors as an
official update, that is a question best posed to the 'fedora-list' e-
mail list. more information is available at:

http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/communicate/

>From what I can tell, Ngo Than is the FC package maintainer for Xfce.
Presumably it would be up to him to roll up the official FC update RPMS
and make them available via the FC mirrors.

At this point, I have not seen an indication pro or con with respect to
this. It would seem logical that it would be done, but that is my guess
and I of course have no idea as to the time frame.

In the mean time, you have the option of downloading RPMS from here:

http://www.us.xfce.org/archive/xfce-4.2.0/rpm/fdr/

or

http://www.grimstveit.no/mirror/xfce/xfce-4.2.0/rpm/fdr/

You can also download the (really great) installers from:

http://www.os-cillation.com/article.php?sid=42

These installers will enable you to easily compile Xfce from source and
avail yourself of various options while doing so, including certain
compile time optimizations.

I use FC3 and while I compiled from source using CVS access previously,
prior to the release of 4.2, I installed the release version using the
os-cillation installers. They work great.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz