Possibly bug: running alsaconf modifies gtk aspect of xfce

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Jan 23 02:31:02 CET 2005

as you've been repeatedly asked in the past, please file a bug report.

note that alsaconf starts with this:

If ALSA is already running, you should close all sound
apps now and stop the sound driver.
alsaconf will try to do this, but it's not 100% sure.

it appears that it forcefully tries to kill apps that may be using any
sound devices.  the panel dies, because it loads the xfce4-mixer plugin
(even if you don't have it in your panel).  xfce-mcs-manager dies,
because it's loaded the settings panel for xfce4-mixer.  xfmedia also
dies on my machine (for obvious reasons).

i think this is normal behavior, though you may want to file a bug
report about it in case it comes up again.  i really don't know why
you'd want to run alsaconf with X running anyway - or on a system where
the sound is apparently already configured.

    -brian